Official Title: Founder and Director of Mindfulness Midwest, LLC
Professional Titles: MA, LCPC, E-RYT 500+, MSN, RN, CFM UMass Certified MBSR Teacher
Unofficial Titles: Mom (Mother at times), Grandma, Friend, Neighbor, Mindfulness/MBSR Teacher/Facilitator, Preschool Yoga Teacher, Yoga Teacher, Counselor/Psychotherapist, Registered Nurse, Novice Researcher
Favourite Quote: Attention is the purest and rarest form of generosity ~Simone Weil
Recent Work Experiences that inform and support my role as a Mindfulness/MBSR Teacher
- Margaret currently works as a Mindfulness Instructor as a member of the Wellness Team of the RUSH Road Home Program, a partner of the Wounded Warrior Project® teaching Mindfulness to Veterans of all branches of the US Military with Combat and Sexual Trauma as part of an ongoing Intensive Outpatient Program.
- Margaret teaches the Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) Course to Cancer patients, Cancer survivors (and all those that support them), at the Integrative Therapy Department of OSF Little Company of Mary Medical Center, as well as people in the community of the southwest side of Chicago.
- In addition to teaching MBSR, Margaret maintains a private psychotherapy practice as a LCPC.
- Margaret continues to volunteer as a teacher of Preschool Yoga and Mindfulness in Chicago Public Schools.
Life Span Work Experiences +
Margaret’s background spans a lifetime of educational opportunities and professional careers comprised of work as follows:
- Registered Nurse in Surgical Intensive Care Units at University of Chicago and Northwestern Memorial Hospital
- Registered Nurse in Galway, Ireland
- Nursing Instructor at a Hospital-Based RN Program
- Fire Protection Engineer
- IL Certified School Nurse in the Chicago Public Schools
- Home Health/Hospice Nurse
- Adjunct Professor UIC College of Nursing
- Hatha Yoga Instructor
- Parent Coordinator at Barbara Vick Early Childhood Center
- Developer and Instructor of Preschool Yoga and Mindfulness Program
- Instructor of Preschool Yoga and Mindfulness Program Curriculum to Red Yellow Blue (RYB) Education Technology Early Childhood Educators in Beijing, China
- Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Instructor/Facilitator
- OSF Little Company of Mary Medical Center
- Community southwest side of Chicagoland
- Facilitator of bi-monthly MBSR Group
- Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor (LCPC) in the State of IL
- Mindfulness Instructor at RUSH Road Home Program
- Facilitator of a midday Live Online Mindfulness Practice
Extending Gratitude and Appreciation to ALL of My Teachers for sharing their vast amount of embodied knowledge with such grace and humility +
- Nursing: Graduate School, St. Xavier University, many professors, however, these two women were powerfully influential
- JoAnn Gruca, PhD in Public Policy Analysis, Associate Professor
- Aida Bahrawy, EdD in Higher and Adult Education, Associate Professor
- Donna Wilkinson, Hatha Yoga Teacher
- Temple of Kriya Yoga: William Hunt, Carol Moritz, Mary Samano, and Kim Schwartz
- Restorative Yoga: Judith Lasater, PhD, P.T.
- Web-based Yoga: Dr. Melissa West
- Kari Tomashik, High Energy Yoga, Eischens Yoga
- Kathleen Wright, Garden of Yoga
- Web-based Yoga: Kate Mitcheom, M.S.N.,C.N.M. R.Y.T
- Jon Kabat-Zinn, PhD
- Saki F. Santorelli, EdD, MA
- Lynne Koerbel, MPH
- Florence Maleo-Meyer, MS, MA, LFMT
- Carolyn West, PhD
- Bob Stahl, PhD
- Judson Brewer, MD, PhD
- Pam Erdmann, MEd
- Zoketsu Norman Fischer
- Tim Burnett, Mindfulness Northwest
- Trauma-Sensitive Mindfulness
- David Treleaven, PhD
Experiential Learning +
- As a mother of four, I do the best I can to allow my children to continue to teach me
- As a friend, I truly believe in mutuality and reciprocity
- As a human, believe in the ongoing practice of extending kindness and the practice of self-compassion
- Teaching. As I teach, I learn. As a teacher of nursing, yoga (adult and preschool) and mindfulness, I have strived and continue to strive to be present in a way that allows me to learn from those before me. Truly believe that each person brings a unique presence and voice to teach me. Bearing witness to their experience in a way that informs the way that I teach, especially with reference to language.
- Yoga and Informal and Formal
- As I practice, I embody the practice, witnessing thoughts, emotions, and sensations in the midst of practice, which allows me to move towards the expression of that experience, exploration of language in leading practice
- Work ethic, a strong sense of that from my parents
Formal Education +
Margaret was awarded her Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) Teacher Certification from Center for Mindfulness in Medicine, Health Care, and Society™ (CFM) at the University of Massachusetts Medical School. As a lifelong learner, Margaret is supporting her current teaching of Mindfulness with ongoing study of Trauma-Sensitive Mindfulness with author and educator, David Treleaven.
Margaret was awarded a Masters in Science in Nursing from St. Xavier University, as well as a Masters of Arts in Counseling Psychology from Adler University. Margaret received her 500-hour Yoga Teacher Certification and Meditation Teacher Training from the Temple of Kriya in Chicago and has taught yoga for over 20 years. Margaret continues to take part in trainings available to yoga teachers.
Free Time Activities, Opportunities to be Present +
Walking outside in nature, bird watching, practicing yoga and meditation, cooking/baking, time with friends, time with children/grandchildren, driving in snow storm (feel like I am in a snow globe!), listening to music (Baroque and Motown) , concerts/art exhibitions, listening to WBEZ and WFMT, knitting, reading, dancing in the kitchen, streaming PBS Masterpiece and a bit of Netflix now and then and road trips.
I dream about: +
Designing a building….or perhaps, a small functional living space with a boiler (radiant heat), wood floors, and a lot of Pella windows.